Sunday, June 14, 2015

Z's first backpacking trip

On the road again, I can't wait to get on the road again.....



I'm not really sure how I ended up in the backseat!  We left the house at 5 am to head to Standing Indian.  After hours of driving I guess the boys actually thought I would nap in the back while The Dude drove us through the mountains.  Ha!

We arrived Monday afternoon with the goal of just going to the first shelter.  We took the Long Branch Trail to the AT and headed South to the Long Branch Shelter.  This shelter is a 2 story shelter built in 2012.  It was very nice!





We put up our hammocks, hung the bear bags and proceeded to be lazy the rest of the afternoon.  A couple of thru hikers stopped by for dinner and then were on their way.  After a long day of getting up early and driving, we all headed to our hammocks early.

We found out the hard way that our hammock tarps are not made for the sky falling out!  It poured, thundered and lots of lightening!  We all ended up in the shelter

The next morning we packed up our wet gear and headed out to Albert Mountain with the intent on hiking 8.7 miles to Carter Gap Shelter.  The climb up Albert Mountain was a little steep but luckily a short trip up.  The views to the valley were intermittent at best and the fire tower was locked.  It was an enjoyable experience anyway.  We met a few section hikers, including 2 sisters from the Midwest. We enjoyed lunch and the boys hung their hammocks from the tower to enjoy a mid-afternoon nap.  We were warned by a few Northbounders that the trail going down the mountain was rocky and slippery from the rain the night before.  I headed down first while the boys enjoyed their nap.  Rocky isn't really how I would describe the descent.  It was large, flat, slippery boulders that required me to sit on my butt and scoot down!  I became concerned about the boys descending the mountain (I know, it's just the mom in me!) and contemplated going to warn them of the downhill slope.  Then I turned, looked up at what I would have to climb back up and decided that they were old enough to figure it out!  Zach later said this was one of his favorite parts of the hike.

I met a nice couple at the road crossing at the bottom of the mountain.  They were staying at the campground and were out for a drive.  We chatted for awhile and then the wife offered me a shot of Apple Brandy.  I nicely declined as I couldn't imagine trying to hike after taking a shot. 

I met up with the boys at a water point later and then we hiked on to the shelter.  To say I was aggravated and disappointed at our time spent at this shelter would be an understatement.  When we arrived, there were a group of teenage boy scouts already at the shelter.  The troop leader told us the shelter was full!  I went into the shelter to find they had emptied their packs everywhere!  The table, benches and sleeping platform had gear and food everywhere.  I understand having your gear spread out, but usually people are kind enough to make room so you can at least make a meal.  A few of the boys moved their sleeping pads off the platform and out to their tents and hammocks so the kids and I laid out our sleeping bags and hung our bear bags.  We waited awhile to see what the scouts would do about all their food and garbage they had hanging in the shelter.  Finally, we asked if they were going to hang their bear bags away from the shelter.  They proceeded to tell us that bears were not prevalent in NC!  


We awoke the next morning and gave the scouts time to leave the shelter as we really didn't want to hike anywhere near them.  We had already had an issue with them the first day with them taking a break on the trail and leaving their gear on the trail and not leaving room to pass so we really did not want a third disappointing encounter with them.

Today's plan was to head to the third and final shelter.  Today, we would cross over Standing Indian Mountain.  It is a 1000' foot ascent with 500' feet the first mile, a water point and then the final 500' over the next two miles.  We had lunch at the base of the mountain and then began climbing.  I told the boys I would meet them at the water point a mile up.  They are much stronger hikers uphill than I am.  I headed up and after quite some time was feeling frustrated that I had neither seen a water point or the boys.  I thought for sure I had hiked a mile by now!  I usually only hike about 1 mph uphill and it had been about 75 minutes at this point.  I finally passed a NOBO (north bounder) and asked where the next water point was.  He informed me that he thought there was supposed to be one at the summit but 2 guys had informed him that there was no water there.  I was confused and asked him how far I was from the summit and he advised 15 minutes!  Holy taquito I just hiked 3 miles uphill in an hour and a half!  I got to the top and was told that the kids were at the summit (apparently there were some girls that had just gone up before them)  After they came down they took me up to show me a really great place with a view.




The boys learned how to make pizza for lunch!  Although Zach found a new favorite, Lemon Pepper tuna.

 Holy crap they are on a ledge thousands of feet up!
And why are they on a ledge?  Because they have service and can Snapchat and text!  Step away mom, just step away.


Zach texted his dad a picture with a note about his view.  Dad proceeded to text Zach a picture back of his cubicle LOL

After heading down the mountain Zach threw out a proposal to finish the hike today with 12.6 miles.  I told him it was up to his brother, The Dude, who proceeded to say that if we finished today he would buy Wendy's on the way home!  Who were Zach and I to say no to that!  We continued on to Kimsey Creek Trail to finish out our 24 mile loop.


This was a gorgeous trail that followed the creek for much of the hike.  At one point we came to what appeared to be an old forest road.  The sign said the campground was 2 miles away.  This trail is only 4 miles and at this point I thought we had hiked at least 3.  I think we may have made a wrong turn somewhere because we ended up in the campground and when we were later looking on how to return to the Backcountry Information Book we found another sign for Kimsey Creek Trail that was nowhere near where we came out in the campground.  I think we ended up backpacking 14 miles that day, but The Dude kept his promise and we enjoyed Wendy's on the way home!

Next up, Eno River with Dad, Loni and Cindy!  Stay tuned for more....

Buttercup and The Dude

No comments:

Post a Comment