Thursday, June 11, 2015

Finally mom's trip to Asheville!

Mom was excited to finally be going to Asheville!  We had a really nice time enjoying our morning coffee sitting on the deck, visiting local restaurants and shops and taking a drive on the Blue Ridge
Parkway.  


The cabin we stayed in was very nice.  It was secluded yet in town.  The property was a combination of nicely landscaped and backwoods primitive.  The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and the cabin itself was well kept. I would definitely recommend Asheville Cabins of Willow Winds.

We arrived early afternoon and decided to relax on the deck for a bit before heading for dinner.  We had read a lot about Sunny Point Cafe.  Dad and I had the Shrimp & Grits and all I can say is WOW!  I don't even like grits, or at least I didn't before having them here!  They were awesome!!  Mom had the Fried Green Tomatoes and Grilled Caesar Salad.  I didn't try the salad but the tomatoes were great!  We finished out the evening by heading over to The Chocolate Fetish.  I didn't realize chocolate could literally melt in your mouth like that.  It was sooo good.  Luckily, we bought enough to enjoy for the few days we were there.  My sister, Mary, wasn't happy that none of the chocolate made it back to Raleigh (hmmm....road trip, Mary?)

The next day mom nicely told dad and I to go take a hike.  Dad and I did about 4-5 miles on the MST.  The trail ran right along the property.  The climb up the dirt road was the hardest part of the hike!  It was a beautiful and easy hike along the Blue Ridge Parkway.  We did lose the trail once but weren't concerned since it was time to turn around anyway.  The trail actually crosses the street down the road but there are no signs letting you know you are supposed to cross the street.  Maybe a BRP rule?  After our hike we went to Chesnut for lunch.  The atmosphere was fun and the staff were so friendly and helpful.  Even the manager stopped by the table to chat and see how our lunch was.  The food was fabulous.  After lunch we visited the Folk Art Center and took a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  We finished off the afternoon with a stop at Grove Arcade and a coffee house where we got dinner to go.  


It was an enjoyable and very relaxing few days.  I'm still working on mom to agree to move to Asheville after Kyle and I hike the AT next year :)




2 comments: