Friday, December 20, 2013

Lessons learned

I had another great hike with dad.   We went to the Cary side of Umstead.  I had never been there before.  The weather was perfect so there were quite a few people there for a weekday.  We hiked a little over 10 miles.  Our longest hike so far.  It's a beautiful park and I'm sure we'll be spending more time there.


We saw 3 deer while we were there.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get any pictures of them.  But I did get some other cool pics.  


And of course it wouldn't be "Hiking with Dad" without at least one picture of my Dad :)


We did learn a few things on this hike.  First, bring more food!!  I was starving by lunch (I had already eaten a Snickers by then) so I ate my sandwich and my afternoon snack.  Second, stop and sit/stretch more.  By the end we were both pretty worn out.  I think had we had an afternoon snack and stretched during the day we would have enjoyed those last 2 miles.  As it was, we were both ready for food and meds by the end.  Third, don't drink so much coffee before we leave.   Cary is not the place I want to be caught squatting in the woods!  Maybe if it were Spring I wouldn't have worried so much, but this time of year there is no hiding in this park.  I know, I know...there are "solutions" for women.  I just haven't worked up the courage to buy any of those *devices* yet.

Life is good....



No comments:

Post a Comment